From minherz <minh...@gmail.com>
Subject 3rd party assembly logging configuration
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:07:25 GMT

Hello. I failed finding a clear answer to my question here, though there are
several posts that touching the subject.
I have a set of shared assembly which use log4net. However, the application
does not have to use it as well i do not want that the log4net configuration
of the application will dictate logging behavior of the shared assembly. In
the case the developer wants to output log from the shared assembly he will
have to define a separate configuration file. While the file is not there no
logging should be performed by the shared assembly.
I tried defining XmlConfiguration attribute with explicit config file name
in the AssemblyInfo of my shared library. It is either ignored or does not
work for other reason. All the output is displayed according to root
configuration of the application.
I know that i can filter it out by using logger element, but i have
different requirement.
I found several articles that suggest using in code call for configuration.
My problem is that the shared assembly is a class library which provide a
collection of classes and i have no idea which of them will be created
first. I also can not define some initialization method as it is against the
design requirements.
Can anybody advise how i can solve this matter?