From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Wrapping Log4Net in a Facade --> incorrect LocationInfo shown for file, methods....
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 21:53:59 GMT
I believe the pattern is called "abstract factory".

Your facade needs to perform logging using the methods on ILogger and passing in the Type
of your wrapper class. See this class for an implementation and comments as to why its necessary:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/ibatis/trunk/cs/mapper/IBatisNet.Common.Logging.Log4Net/Log4NetLogger.cs?revision=293509&view=markup

IBatisNet (ibatis.apache.org), Sooda (www.sooda.org), and The Castle Project (www.castleproject.org)
have abstracted logging libraries (to allow the user to switch between log4net, NLog, and
some simple builtin loggers like a ConsoleLogger) that do similiar things. I recall there
being similiar code on gotdotnet.com sonewhere too.

----- Original Message ----

From: José Joye <jose.joye@bluewin.ch>

To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org

Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 1:54:06 PM

Subject: Wrapping Log4Net in a Facade  --> incorrect LocationInfo shown for file, methods....

         Hello,

 We are trying the Log4Net in our projects. However,  for different reasons, we want to expose
it to our developers through a  Tracing/Error class facade.

 Doing so, we face the following  problem:

 Whenever an Appender print information about  LocationInfo (File, line, Method,....). It
will take information related to the  caller of the Log4Net method (which is the facade in
our case).

 Is there any way to tell Log4Net not to walk more  more level on the stackTrace so as to
retrieve the information?

 Thanks a lot!

 - Jose