From John Cole <john.c...@uai.com>
Subject RE: Logging from COM+
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:50:44 GMT
Here is a related question...

We have several VB6 Exe's that use .Net DLL's.  The .Net DLL's use Log4Net
for logging.  What is the best way to configure Log4Net in this situation?

Thanks,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Greasley [mailto:tom@greasley.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 8:47 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: Re: Logging from COM+

COM+ allows you to specify an application root directory for each
package.  .NET will look in the root directory for a configuration file
called application.config.  This is a lot cleaner than using
dllhost.exe.config.

See here:

http://staff.newtelligence.net/clemensv/PermaLink.aspx?guid=0615b3cc-0fbf-4c
f5-9d49-ae95b50f7e8d

Tom Greasley

Jeremy Wiebe wrote:
> I may be missing the point here, but I'll comment and you can correct me.
:-)

> The original poster is looking for instruction on how to use log4net in
COM+ (and by that I'm assuming it's a .NET class in COM+ made by inheriting
from System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponent).

> The configuration depends on your usage of COM+.  If you are deploying
your component as a Library Application, then the typical log4net
configuration should be fine as the COM+ component will run "in-process" of
your application.

> However, if you are deploying your COM+ component as a Server Application,
it will be hosted in the COM+ host application dllhost.exe.  As a result you
need to put the configuration in %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\dllhost.exe.config.
(It will most likely not exist so just create a standard .NET configuration
file with a log4net section.

> You'll also need to ensure that if you want to log to a file from a Server
Application that the identity you are running the application as has
permissions to write to the place you want your log file to be created.

> Sponsored Link
>

> Talk more and pay less. Vonage can save you up to $300 a year on your
phone bill.

> Sign up now. http://www.vonage.com/startsavingnow/

in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended
only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail.