From "Jeremy Wiebe" <jwi...@LINNET.COM>
Subject RE: Logging from COM+
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:52:31 GMT
Wow!  This is great news.  From the looks of your posting there this is only supported in Windows
Server 2003, correct?  (which means that for older server deployments like Win2000 we still
have to use the dllhost.exe.config hack).

Thanks for that!!

Jeremy Wiebe

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Greasley [mailto:tom@greasley.com]
Sent: November 7, 2006 8:47 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: Re: Logging from COM+

COM+ allows you to specify an application root directory for each
package.  .NET will look in the root directory for a configuration file
called application.config.  This is a lot cleaner than using
dllhost.exe.config.

See here:

http://staff.newtelligence.net/clemensv/PermaLink.aspx?guid=0615b3cc-0fbf-4cf5-9d49-ae95b50f7e8d

Tom Greasley

Jeremy Wiebe wrote:
> I may be missing the point here, but I'll comment and you can correct me.  :-)
>
> The original poster is looking for instruction on how to use log4net in COM+ (and by
that I'm assuming it's a .NET class in COM+ made by inheriting from System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponent).

> The configuration depends on your usage of COM+.  If you are deploying your component
as a Library Application, then the typical log4net configuration should be fine as the COM+
component will run "in-process" of your application.

> However, if you are deploying your COM+ component as a Server Application, it will be
hosted in the COM+ host application dllhost.exe.  As a result you need to put the configuration
in %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\dllhost.exe.config.  (It will most likely not exist so just create
a standard .NET configuration file with a log4net section.

> You'll also need to ensure that if you want to log to a file from a Server Application
that the identity you are running the application as has permissions to write to the place
you want your log file to be created.