From "Duncan Woods" <duncan.wo...@garradhassan.com>
Subject RE: Logging from COM+
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 17:57:12 GMT
For COM+ I use a reg setting to locate the log4net file and then perform
manual configuration when the com+ is first created.

I remember that on an old server, there were some weird difficulties
logging to the event log. It could have been win2k or a credential
problem with the account the com+ app was using.

Thanks,
Duncan

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Greasley [mailto:tom@greasley.com]
Sent: 07 November 2006 14:57
To: Log4NET User
Subject: Re: Logging from COM+

COM+1.5 = XP and above, so in terms of server software, yes it's only
supported in Windows Server 2003+

Tom Greasley

Jeremy Wiebe wrote:
> Wow!  This is great news.  From the looks of your posting there this
is only supported in Windows Server 2003, correct?  (which means that
for older server deployments like Win2000 we still have to use the
dllhost.exe.config hack).

> Thanks for that!!
>
> Jeremy Wiebe

http://staff.newtelligence.net/clemensv/PermaLink.aspx?guid=0615b3cc-0fb
f-4cf5-9d49-ae95b50f7e8d

> Tom Greasley
>
> Jeremy Wiebe wrote:
>
>> I may be missing the point here, but I'll comment and you can correct
me.  :-)

>> The original poster is looking for instruction on how to use log4net
in COM+ (and by that I'm assuming it's a .NET class in COM+ made by
inheriting from System.EnterpriseServices.ServicedComponent).

>> The configuration depends on your usage of COM+.  If you are
deploying your component as a Library Application, then the typical
log4net configuration should be fine as the COM+ component will run
"in-process" of your application.

>> However, if you are deploying your COM+ component as a Server
Application, it will be hosted in the COM+ host application dllhost.exe.
As a result you need to put the configuration in
%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\dllhost.exe.config.  (It will most likely not
exist so just create a standard .NET configuration file with a log4net
section.

>> You'll also need to ensure that if you want to log to a file from a
Server Application that the identity you are running the application as
has permissions to write to the place you want your log file to be
created.