From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: RollingFileAppender & concurrency
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 03:42:20 GMT
If you want the processid pattern to be processed, you need to use a file node with type PatternString:

<appender name="RollingFileAppender" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
 <file type="log4net.Util.PatternString" value="[%processid].log" />
 <lockingModel type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender+MinimalLock" />
 <appendToFile value="false" />
 <layout type="log4net.Layout.SimplePatternLayout" />
</appender>

Have you tried an appender node that uses the alternate lockingModel node and PatternString
file type?

----- Original Message ----
From: Steve Burkett <Steve.Burkett@symyx.com>
To: Log4NET User <log4net-user@logging.apache.org>; rongrabowski@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 8:46:33 PM
Subject: RE: RollingFileAppender &  concurrency

I just saw this blog entry that suggest using %processid. This would be ideal...

    http://piers7.blogspot.com/2006/02/using-log4nets-fileappender-in-web.html

    <appender name="File" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
      <file type="log4net.Util.PatternString" value="C:\temp\MyApp_[%processid].log" />

However,  on my system, using

    <appender name="Loadtest.Debug" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender, log4net,
Version=1.2.9.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b32731d11ce58905">
            <param name="File" value=".\[%processid]LoadTest.log" />

Created a file name " [%processid]LoadTest.log", and showed same locking contentions.

We have to use rollingfileappenders, because our customers require us to have NO additional
dependencies on databases.