From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: RollingFileAppender & concurrency
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:17:48 GMT
Are you generating a lot of logs? Keep in mind that the RollingFileAppender is not a database.
Have you looking using something like MSDE and the AdoNetAppender as a storage place for logs
on each machine? This link shows how to setup an alternate locking model on a FileAppender:

http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/config-examples.html#fileappender

Opening and closing a file after each write will never be as fast as an exclusive lock.

----- Original Message ----

From: Steve Burkett <Steve.Burkett@symyx.com>

To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org

Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 6:50:25 PM

Subject: RollingFileAppender &  concurrency

Hello,

   We have a .Net v2 asp.net webservice that uses log4net. Our customers want to run our product
in a webgarden (multiple processes running on the same machine).  Each process, uses the same
web.config, and thus the same RollingFileAppender file name.

   Will the service interleave the log calls to the single file correct? (a simple test I
did with a console app, running in two windows, didn’t interleave correctly).

   Is there a switch on RollingFileAppender to allow concurrency?  Another (file based) appender?

   Thanks! J