From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Retrieving log4net error conditions
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 02:04:49 GMT

Appenders that extend AppenderSkeleton have an ErrorHandler property that is trigged when
an error occurs. I modified the default error handler, OnlyOnceErrorHandler, to add public
properties for Message, Exception, and ErrorCode. I don't think they belong on the IErrorHandler
interface because not all IErrorHandler implementations necessarily care about the last time
the Error methods were called. I also modified OnlyOnceErrorHandler to report the ErrorCode.

You could write this in your application start up code:

OnlyOnceErrorHandler errorHandler =
 (OnlyOnceErrorHandler)rollingFileAppender.ErrorHandler;

throw new LogException(String.Format("Unable to configure RollingFileAppender [{0}]. ErrorCode:
 rollingFileAppender.Name, // 0
 errorHandler.ErrorCode, // 1
 errorHandler.Message), errorHandler.Exception);  // 2

I'll make an issue and upload the patch when Jira its back on-line.

Another improvement may be to allow a default IErrorHandler to be set at the repository level
so all appenders automatically use that instead of OnlyOnceErrorHandler. Add it to Hierarchy
instead of LoggerRepositorySkeleton?

----- Original Message ----

From: Bill Schmidt <binkys@gmail.com>

To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org

Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:30:21 PM

Subject: Retrieving log4net error conditions

Hello list,

   I am wondering if there is a way to recieve an error messages from log4net 1.2.10 if it
is unable to write to a log file.  Reading through the release faq ( http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/faq.html)
I see that exceptions should not be thrown, however is there some method I can call to see
what the last error(if any) log4net encountered when writing to the log.

To be more specific, I am using a RollingFileAppender with C# to log for my application.
 If the appender is configured to log to a drive that is full or not present, is there a way
after I write a message to see if the write was successful so that if there was a problem
I can notify the user in some way.

ie:

log.ERROR("my error message");

success = log.getsuccess();