From puska <mr.ri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best way for inserting additional message in log?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:06:02 GMT
> (1)
> public void Info(object message, Exception ex, object additional)
> {
>  if (Logger.IsEnabledFor(Level.Info))
>  {
>   LoggingEvent loggingEvent = new LoggingEvent(
>    declaringType,
>    Logger.Repository,
>    Logger.Name,
>    Level.Info,
>    message,
>    ex);
>
>   loggingEvent.Properties["additional"] = additional;
>
>   Logger.Log(loggingEvent);
>  }
> }

I just did same thing few days ago :)  (thx to log4net.Ext.EventID)
It works like charm.

> (3)
> If the call looks like this:
>  log.Info("Oh no!", ex, 1234);
> I can access 1234 by using the property pattern:
>  <conversionPattern value="%property{additional}" />

yes, yes, I know it should work like this.... and it does, but ( this
is interesting):
When I used Integrated Security in my connection string and with
<conversionPattern value="%property" />
everything is fine (because log4net impersonates 'me' when connecting
to database)
and when I'm using
<conversionPattern value="%property{additional}" />
it stops logging (because log4net tries to connect to db as ASPNET,
and I naturally forgot to give ASPNET rights for db)

I simply solved this by using user and psw in connection string (this
is what I intended to do from beginning).

> (4)
> If you configure log4net using the ConfigureAndWatch method ...
> log4net will attempt to reload itself when the configuration file
> changes.

I was using ConfigureAndWatch and this is still problem for me.
When I make any changes in log4net.config they are reloaded instantly,
but when I make same error in log4net.config, logging won't work. And if I then
correct this error logging still won't work until I restart my web application.