From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: simulating tail -f
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 04:05:31 GMT
Do you want the TextBox containing the log file to be updated in
real-time as the application is running? Morten Andersen wrote an
IAppender that does that:

http://tinyurl.com/rwc4o
http://www.mail-archive.com/log4net-user@logging.apache.org/msg03176.html

If you want to show the N most recent entries in a popup window and not
have the data update in real time you could extend/modify the
MemoryAppender to internally use a CyclicBuffer to store the last N
items and automatically discard old entries. Your application would ask
for this appender instance from the repository then call GetEvents() to
get an array of LoggingEvent objects.

Apparently log4net doesn't have a combination
BufferingAppender/MemoryAppender appender that buffers the last N
events to memory (BufferingAppender is abstract):

// ???
public class CyclicMemoryAppender : BufferingAppenderSkeleton
{
 override protected void SendBuffer(LoggingEvent[] events)
 {
  // empty
 }

 override public void ActivateOptions()
 {
  Lossy = true;
 }

 virtual public LoggingEvent[] GetEvents()
 {
  // ???
  return Buffer.Snapshot();
 }

}

Now I'm getting way off topic here...shouldn't CyclicBuffer have a
method similiar to PopAll() but without the call to Clear()? Wouldn't
that be useful if you wanted to see a snapshot of the items in the
buffer without clearing the buffer?