From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Best way for inserting additional message in log?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 03:38:29 GMT
(1)
Here's another way of storing extra information with the logging event:

// untested
public void Info(object message, Exception ex, object additional)
{
 if (Logger.IsEnabledFor(Level.Info))
 {
  LoggingEvent loggingEvent = new LoggingEvent(
   declaringType,
   Logger.Repository,
   Logger.Name,
   Level.Info,
   message,
   ex);

  loggingEvent.Properties["additional"] = additional;

  Logger.Log(loggingEvent);
 }
}

(2)
(3)
If the call looks like this:

 log.Info("Oh no!", ex, 1234);

I can access 1234 by using the property pattern:

 <conversionPattern value="%property{additional}" />

(4)
If you configure log4net using the ConfigureAndWatch method:

 XmlConfigurator.ConfigureAndWatch(
  new FileInfo(
  AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformation.ApplicationBase +
  "log4net.config"));

log4net will attempt to reload itself when the configuration file
changes.