From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: Appenders and AppDomains
Date Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:25:25 GMT

.NET remoting is as reliable as the transport it runs over. If it using
the SMTP protocol [1] then its reliability depends on the mail servers
and how much disk space they have.

Between AppDomains in the same process the remoting calls should be 100%
reliable (assuming that the host machine is responsive and able to
schedule threads).

The intra AppDomain remoting transport is very fast, but remember that
your still have to cost of logging after remoting the event. I have not
done any performance analysis of this scenario so you may want to put
together some tests of your own. The perfromance depends on the remoting
transport selected.

[1]
http://www.ingorammer.com/Software/OpenSourceRemoting/SMTPChannel.html

> When I run BasicConfigurator.Configure() in one or more
> appdomain the log messages for the domain will be printed in
> the output window in vs.net. Is this using the MarshalByRef solution?

Which log messages do you mean? Internal ones from log4net or ones from
a log4net appender? What appender are you  using? If you mean the
MarshalByRef solution I outlined in my previous mail, then no as this
has not been implemented.

> Is it best to have one remotingserver for all my hwservers
> and applications, or should I have one remotingserver for
> each hwserver?

Again this is a difficult question to answer without knowing your
architecture. If you are going to use remoting to centralise your
logging events you will need to have a way of identifying your logging
server. You will need to select your remoting transport (in memory cross
AppDomain, TCP, other...) and then decide how your are going to identify
the server. TCP transport requires a running server and known port (and
you can only have 1 server instance bound to a single known port). Cross
AppDomain requires a transparent proxy, which you can create using the
Activator.CreateInstance methods (but may not be easy).

So this depends on your architecture, logging requirements, performance
requirements, remoting protocol, and how you can identify your remoting
server. You will need to build a prototype to find the appropriate
solution.

Cheers,
Nicko