From "Young, Jason \(GE Indust, GE Fanuc\)" <Jason.Yo...@ge.com>
Subject Logging comments
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:11:15 GMT
I thought of a really cool idea a long time ago, and I wanted to see if
anyone has thought of it, or even implemented it.

The problem: In code, you often write comments, and you often write log
messages.  You may or may not write them about the same thing.  In some
cases, you might even have a comment, and then a message that logs it.

The solution: What if you had a script that would parse the source files
looking for certain comment indicators.  For example "// /This is a
debug level message" would be a debug comment.  However many slashes are
after the initial comment indicators would determine the logging level.
For example "// //////This is a fatal message".  Heck, you could even
use a number or a word if that would be easier to understand.  For
example "// Debug - This is a debug message".

If you did this, you would have awesome logging, at least at the debug
level.  There are so many times I wish I could see some of my comments
in the logs.

Anyway, chew on that.

Thanks,
Jason