From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: new public key for 1.2.10?
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:35:28 GMT
Bob,

It was not my intention to change the strong name key for the 1.2.10
release. Due to some misadventure the key has changed between version
1.2.9 and 1.2.10. This has the undesirable effect of preventing binding
redirects between these version working.

I am still investigating where my key management procedures broke down.
But I think that it is now essential for log4net to examine our policy
towards strong naming, especially as this is supposed to be an open
source project. Does the private key form an integral part of the
'source'? It is not required to build an identically functional
assembly, but it is required to build an identical binary replacement
assembly.

At this point in time I think it is not possible to remedy the situation
by producing official builds of the latest version with the old strong
name, however it may be possible to make an unofficial build with the
old key for compatibility purposes. I think this will be driven by our
internal discussion on future strong name key policy.

Regards,
Nicko

Nicko Cadell
log4net development