From Rama Ramakrishnan <rama.ramakrish...@ess-home.com>
Subject Log4net Stops Logging
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 00:09:12 GMT
We have log4net using SQL Server as Appender for logging.  We ran load
tests using LoadRunner that logs using log4net through Business objects.
Two tests were done.  Results were these....

1.	In the first test logging stopped after 11 hours into the test
though the test continued for 24 hours.
2.	In the second test, we raised the size of the Logging database
to 5 GB to remove the database growth as the issue for log4net failure.
But, logging stopped 10 minutes into the test.

Will this setting for the Appender in the Config file resolve the issue
if an Error from SQL Server led to a shutdown of the log4net.

<param name="reconnectonerror" value="true" />

We did not have this parameter added in our config file in both tests.

Can someone answer these questions ?

1)       What are the possible causes for the log4net to shutdown and
stop logging for good during a load test or in a running application ?
What are the resolutions ?

2)       How does log4net log messages ?  Does each "Log" method call
from the application make a connection to the database and then write
the data ?  Or that the log messages are stored into a buffer and then
log4net does a bulk insert periodically ?  Is there a configuration
parameter related to buffering ?

Rama Ramakrishnan
Program Manager
ESS - Providers of Software Suite(tm) for Environmental, Health & Safety
Management
Tel:(480) 346-5547, Cell: (480) 544-3645
www.ess-home.com <http://www.ess-home.com/>  |
rama.ramakrishnan@ess-home.com <mailto:p@ess-home.com>