From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: couple questions
Date Mon, 29 May 2006 22:21:47 GMT

Follow the examples at:
http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/config-examples.html
Make the following changes:

<commandType value="StoredProcedure "/>
<commandText value="name of your stored procedure "/>

> 2. custom level: custom level is supported in new release but
> I still confused in how to use it. for example if I want to
> add a TRACE level between FATAL and OFF, what should I put in
> config file and how should I log TRACE information in my program?

Probably best to have a look at extensions\net\1.0\log4net.Ext.Trace in
the log4net download, and the example
examples\net\1.0\Extensibility\TraceLogApp that demonstrates using the
Trace API.

> 3. custom fields: how do I add custom fields dynamically?

Custom fields are set via properties on the logging event. These
properties can be set directly on the logging event and are therefore
scoped to a single log, or they can be specified on the current thread
and are inherited by all logs mode on the thread.

To set properties on the thread use the ThreadContext.Properties, or
globally on the GlobalContext.Properties.

To set properties on individual LoggingEvents you will need to write a
helper method or an extension. For example see the
extensions\net\1.0\log4net.Ext.EventID extension.

> in addition, since I am going to use database as storage, how
> can I add multiple custom fields into one databse field? the
> reason is that if I decide to add new custom field later I
> don't want to change the database structure.

When specifying the layout for a column you can use the PatternLayout to
generate a string by combining several different properties:

  <parameter>
    <parameterName value="@extradata" />
    <dbType value="String" />
    <size value="255" />
      <conversionPattern value="%property{prop1}|%property{prop2}" />
    </layout>
  </parameter>

Or you can use a stored procedure, pass it each property as a separate
argument and then combine the values into a single column in the stored
procedure.

> 4. Large object: what is the relative better way to log large
> objects such as DataTable, XmlNode or an Array of  custom
> object? how do you log 2d-array or 3d-array?

If you have performance considerations you may be best served by writing
a custom appender to your requirements. The AdoNetAppender is designed
to be flexible and DB neutral. Have a look at the simple FastDbAppender
in the examples in the log4net download:

examples\net\1.0\Appenders\SampleAppendersApp\cs\src\Appender

Cheers,
Nicko