From Mark.Gib...@ubs.com
Subject RE: AW: Log4Net Viewer
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 12:35:05 GMT
.NET 2.0 is still very new.  This means many (if not most) large corporations do not currently
support .NET 2.0.  It takes a lot of time and effort to roll out desktop updates to every
desktop in a large company, the majority of which is regression testing everything that currently
runs on that company's desktop to make sure the update breaks nothing else.

As such, if you are planning on selling this product to large companys/corporations, I think
you may find not supporting .NET 1.1 is a major problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Wiedemann, Bernd [mailto:B.Wiedemann@mas-software.de]
Sent: 15 May 2006 12:06
To: 'Log4NET User'
Subject: AW: AW: Log4Net Viewer

Weaving of .net 1.1 assemblies is already (partially) supported.

The weaver is based on IL roundtripping. As default, it uses .NET V2.0 versions of ILDASM/ILASM
and hence generates instrumented assemblies based on .NET 2.0.

For weaving .NET 1.1 assemblies, please use commandline options /ildasm resp. /ilasm of weaver.exe,
for example on my machine

/ildasm:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Bin\ildasm.exe"

/ilasm:"C:\WINXP2\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\ilasm.exe"

Weaver.exe does additionally need a rule file (xml), which describes where and what kind of
tracing code should be generated.

On the one hand, you can create this file with XTrace Reflector, which is a class view like
tree - integrated in Visual Studio 2005. On the other hand, you can create this file manually.

There are no plans for integrating XTrace Reflector in VS2003.

What are your reasons for not using .NET framework 2.0?

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----