From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: Compression tool
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2006 14:08:54 GMT

The best I could find is rotatelog, which is written in Perl and therefore may run on Windows
with the help of ActiveState Perl.
http://www.interhack.net/projects/rotatelog/

The main problem with this approach on Windows is that files open for writing are locked and
cannot be renamed. On UNIX based file systems you can rename a file while it is locked and
the application will continue to write to it. Typically after renaming the log file you would
send the application a HUP signal to cause it to close the current log file and open a new
log file with the original name. There is no standard way of signalling applications in Windows.

Personally I think that the current RollingFileAppender is too complex and we would benefit
greatly from a more pluggable approach similar to the new implementation in log4j:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging/log4j/trunk/src/java/org/apache/log4j/rolling/

At least with a plugin model it would be simpler for users to define their own behaviours
when the out of the box solution does not fit.

Cheers,
Nicko