From Scott Deboy <sde...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Log4Net Viewer
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:07:32 GMT
Hi Richard, Göran:
Göran Roseen <goran <at> roseen.se> writes:

> Hi Richard!
>

> I would very much like to see what you
> have. I will do my best to give you constructive feedback...
>

> There are two major log viewers out there
> today;
>

> Chainsaw (http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html)
> - which in my opinion is too focused on log4j and an Apache/Java environment
>
> L4N Dashboard (http://www.l4ndash.com/) -
> An elegant solution, but unfortunately not freeware
>

> So your viewer definitely has a space to
> fill.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> /Göran

Regarding Chainsaw V2 -

We've taken significant steps to ensure Chainsaw V2 is useful to other logging
frameworks, by providing 'receivers' that can process logs in almost any format
you have, accessible from anywhere you may have them.

Examples that can be used by other frameworks:

UDPReceiver - receive events over UDP (log4net can use this one)
LogFilePatternReceiver - process text log files available from a URL
VFSLogFilePatternReceiver - process text log files available through
VFS-supported file systems (ssh, etc.)
CustomSQLDBReceiver - process events stored in a database - you specify the SQL
XMLSocketReceiver - process events sent as XML via TCP (log4perl, log4cxx,
java.util.logging may use this receiver)

If there is a log4net xml format that you'd like us to support, let us know.

Scott