From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Log4Net Viewer
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 06:13:26 GMT
Chainsaw can read regular log files.

You can get more information and start Chainsaw via Web Start at: http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html

Here's an example config file that can read regular log files:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration >
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/" debug="true">

   <plugin name="LOGFILE" class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LogFilePatternReceiver">
     <param name="fileURL" value="file:///c:/some.log"/>
     <param name="timestampFormat" value="yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
     <param name="logFormat" value="TIMESTAMP LEVEL CLASS - MESSAGE"/>
     <param name="name" value="my log file"/>
     <param name="tailing" value="true"/>
   </plugin>

   <root>
      <level value="DEBUG"/>
   </root>
</log4j:configuration>

To use this config in Chainsaw, save this xml to your machine and modify the fileURL and logFormat
params to match your log file (the JavaDoc for LogFilePatternReceiver is available from Chainsaw's
help menu and explains the keywords used in the logFormat param).

Next, specify the URL to this config file in the View, application-wide preferences, 'automatic
configuration' field (example: file:///c:/logs/chainsaw.xml)

Restart Chainsaw and it should process your log file.

If you have questions, feel free to post to log4j-user or send me an email.

Scott

I messed around with it, and it looks like you have to use a UDP appender.  I would like to
use it with regular files as well, but I'm not sure it does that.

I found this post that helped me configure it:
http://geekswithblogs.net/kobush/archive/2005/07/15/46627.aspx

Jason