From "Georg Jansen" <Georg.Jan...@FaktNet.com>
Subject RE: setting RollingFileAppender output file name based on appdomain in ASP.NET application
Date Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:25:11 GMT
Yuval,

Will programmatically changing the log file name (and keeping the rest of
the configuration from the config file) be sufficient?

If it is, I have a blog entry about it on:
http://www.l4ndash.com/Blogs/tabid/65/EntryID/18/Default.aspx

Best regards

Georg

Log4Net <http://www.l4ndash.com/>  Dashboard / Log4Net Viewer

  _____

From: Log4Net [mailto:log4net@gmail.com]
Sent: 7. februar 2006 21:51
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: setting RollingFileAppender output file name based on appdomain in
ASP.NET application

hi,
I have several services and an ASP.NET application installed on the same
machine.
I want to use the rolling file appender and have each process log into its
own set of files.
ideally i would like to use one log4net configuration file to configure
logging for all the running processes.
I figured out how to use the [%appdomain] to separate the output of the
services to different files:
<file type="log4net.Util.PatternString" value="C:\Logs\Log[%appdomain].txt"
/>

but since the ASP.NET application has as "unfriendly" application domain
which looks something like :
"/LM/W3SVC/1/Root/MyW/MyWebApp-2-127838163201845375"
log4net created a sub directory and puts the log file there.
is there any way to configure log4net to give a hard coded specific file
name in case the of a file name patterns that matches an IIS app domain?
is there any way to change the the ASP.NET code or deployment of the
application in order to force a certain friendly name instead of /LM/W3... ?

Thanks,
Yuval