From "Billy Barnum" <bbar...@spamcop.net>
Subject RE: VS 2005 support
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:27:10 GMT
Uh, nevermind.

Turns out I'm on a new workstation for this .NET v2.0 development and hadn't
yet added the log4net assembly to the GAC, which is required under the
circumstances listed below, with server activation, yada yada yada. When you
forget do this and everything is .NET v1.1, you get cleaner error msgs
instead of blowing up the framework, is all.

My bad; sorry to bother the group with this.

-BillyB

-----Original Message-----
From: Billy Barnum [mailto:bbarnum@spamcop.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 3:08 PM
To: 'Log4NET User'
Subject: RE: VS 2005 support

I'm actually having a problem with this right now, by coincidence.

Like you, Matthhew, I haven't had a problem calling the .NET v1.1 log4net
from .NET v2.0 apps - until now. The twist this time seems to be that the
v2.0 app in question is a *server-activated* Enterprise Service lib that
worked great in .NET v1.1. I've ported it to .NET v2.0 and just this one
line ...

        private static readonly ILog BmtLog =
LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(SecurityVaultConfigManager));

... causes the object in question to blow in the JIT compiler when DLLHOST
instantiates it. And I'm not talking a crash with nice diagnostics, either;
the JIT itself (mscorjit) blows.

I'm guessing that this is not log4net-specific, but some problem with
calling a v1.1 component from v2.0 under these special circumstances. Still,
does anyone have any ideas, here? I've been digging but I'm stumped.

-BillyB