From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: RollingFileAppender Stops logging in Web Service
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:10:58 GMT
Perhaps there is something wrong in your
Opal.Logging.LogEntry.SetConfigurator method. Can we see the source to
that? My Application_End usually includes a simple message to help my
keep track of when the app domain gets unloaded.

 protected void Application_End(Object sender, EventArgs e)
 {
  log.Info("Application ended");
  log4net.LogManager.Shutdown();
 }

Maybe something isn't automatically be re-initialized when the app
domain gets reloaded...

--- Fahad Sarwar <fsarwar@opaltelecom.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi, I am using Log4Net within a WebService.  I have been successfully
> logging to a file using the RollingFileAppender, however recently the
> webservice stops logging completly to the file for no apparant
> reason.  The
> WebService continues to work successfully but no logs are generated.
> I have
> read in other threads that by touching the web.config file, this will
> cause
> the webservice to start logging again.  This works fine, but again,
> sometimes a week later or a month later, the WebService stops
> logging.
>
> Has anyone come across this problem in the past as i have not seen
> anything
> on the forum.
>
> Below is a sample of the web.config used.
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> <configuration>
>  <configSections>
>   <section name="log4net"
> type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler, log4net" />
>  </configSections>
> <appSettings>
> </appSettings>
>

> <log4net>
>   <appender name="RollingFileAppender"
> type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender">
>    <param name="File"

value="C:\\logs\\NGSPublicMobilePrePayProvisioningService\\NGSPublicMobilePr
> ePayLog" />
>    <param name="AppendToFile" value="true" />
>    <param name="RollingStyle" value="Date" />
>    <!--<param name="MaxSizeRollBackups" value="10" />-->
>    <param name="DatePattern" value="yyyyMMdd" />
>    <param name="StaticLogFileName" value="false" />
>    <layout type="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout">
>     <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d - %m%n" />
>    </layout>
>   </appender>
>

>   <appender name="OpalLoggingAppender"
> type="log4net.Appender.OpalLoggingAppender" >
>    <param name="threshold" value="FATAL" />
>   </appender>
>
>   <root>
>             <level value="INFO" />
>             <appender-ref ref="OpalLoggingAppender" />
>             <appender-ref ref="RollingFileAppender" />
>         </root>
>   </log4net>
>
> </configuration>
>
> Within my Global.asax file i use the following line of code, which
> basically
> tells the log4net where to find the web.config:
>
> protected void Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e)
>
> {

Opal.Logging.LogEntry.SetConfigurator(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.SetupInformati