From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: RollingFileAppender: log files with constant extension and composite name
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:42:37 GMT

> I'd like current messages to always be logged into a file
> with the same name (e.g., mylogs.log).

To do this you need to set the file property to the 'static' log file
name, and set the staticLogFileName property to true, e.g.:

<file value="C:\\ProphIT_CTI\\mylogs.log" />
<staticLogFileName value="true" />

> When a file hits a
> maximum size I'd like to have the file renamed and have
> future logs go into a new file with the same name as before
> (i.e., mylogs.log).

This will happen if the staticLogFileName is set to true and the
rollingStyle is Size or Composite.

> The old file would be renamed to a name
> that includes a sequence number and date (e.g.,
> mylogs20051109.2.log for today's second log file). It would
> be OK if the date didn't get added to the name until the next day.
>
> The RollingFileAppender does this fine except that the
> sequence number becomes the file extension.

Currently the sequence number must be the last part of the filename,
otherwise the appender cannot identify the previously rolled files.

Nicko