From "Castrianni, Chris {PBSG}" <Chris.Castria...@pbsg.com>
Subject RE: Checking IsDebugEnabled before calling Debug()?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:07:12 GMT
Good morning Tom,

My understanding is that you should use IsXXXEnabled for situations
where "message" is computationally expensive to create.

--Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Nichols [mailto:tmnichols@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 8:50 AM
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Re: Checking IsDebugEnabled before calling Debug()?

Hi,

I was going through the examples and saw this:
       // Log a debug message. Test if debug is enabled before
       // attempting to log the message. This is not required but
       // can make running without logging faster.
       if (log.IsDebugEnabled) log.Debug("This is a debug message");

My question is, why not just check this in LogImpl.Debug() , i.e.
       virtual public void Debug(object message)
       {
               if( this.IsDebugEnabled ) Logger.Log(ThisDeclaringType,
m_levelDebug, message, null);
}

And then of course do the same for DebugFormat, Info, Warn, etc. etc.
I haven't dug much into the code but I'm interested in using the
framework.  It just seems to me that if you really get a performance
enhancement from testing if IsDebugEnabled before calling it, it would
make more sense to save that step everywhere you make that Debug()
call in paractice.

I'm guessing there's a good reason why, but could someone tell me?

Thanks.
-Tom