From Göran Roseen <go...@roseen.se>
Subject RE: Checking IsDebugEnabled before calling Debug()?
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:06:18 GMT

Yes, the reason is that sometimes it takes a while to generate the argument
to log.Debug(). If your code looks something like:

    log.Debug(CallReallySlowComponentAndGenerateAMessage());

you would of course benefit from using

    if (log.IsDebugEnabled)
        log.Debug(CallReallySlowComponentAndGenerateAMessage());

instead, since the time-consuming generation of the message will not occur.
If you only log string literals, I suppose there is no point in using this
construct.

/Göran

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Nichols [mailto:tmnichols@gmail.com]
Sent: den 18 november 2005 15:50
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Re: Checking IsDebugEnabled before calling Debug()?

Hi,

I was going through the examples and saw this:
       // Log a debug message. Test if debug is enabled before
       // attempting to log the message. This is not required but
       // can make running without logging faster.
       if (log.IsDebugEnabled) log.Debug("This is a debug message");

My question is, why not just check this in LogImpl.Debug() , i.e.
       virtual public void Debug(object message)
       {
               if( this.IsDebugEnabled ) Logger.Log(ThisDeclaringType,
m_levelDebug, message, null);
}

And then of course do the same for DebugFormat, Info, Warn, etc. etc.
I haven't dug much into the code but I'm interested in using the
framework.  It just seems to me that if you really get a performance
enhancement from testing if IsDebugEnabled before calling it, it would
make more sense to save that step everywhere you make that Debug()
call in paractice.

I'm guessing there's a good reason why, but could someone tell me?

Thanks.
-Tom