From "Bloom, Joshua (CASE)" <Joshua.Bl...@VOLPE.DOT.GOV>
Subject RE: Log4Net Reports
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:15:39 GMT
Hi Dawson,

I have had pretty good results using Log4Net in this fashion.

My setup uses 2 appenders with different level settings.

I have one that logs everything to a log database, and another that only
logs error levels(or higher) by SMTP.

Its worked pretty well for me so far.

Cheers,
Josh

-----Original Message-----
From: Dawson Mossman [mailto:dawson_mossman@hotmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 3:43 PM
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Log4Net Reports

Hi,
I know the primary purpose of Log4Net is logging capability in your
application.  However, I'm wondering if it's also used/recommended for
Reporting?

I've heard talk of people using Log4Net to generate logging information that

they intend to use for creating reports.  Is this a recommended strategy?
Or should application reporting be kept separate from Log4Net entries?

>From what I understand, it's common for Log4Net to be turned off in a
production application and only turned on when required to debug a problem.

If this is the typical usage, then clearly reporting based on Log4Net would
not be recommended.

If you could clear this for me, it would avoid steering several projects in
the wrong direction.

Thanks.