From "Simon Wallis" <mail...@wallis.ca>
Subject Re: log files get reset at 12:00 noon every day
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:54:01 GMT
Yes, datePattern specifies when it should roll over. The pattern I used specifies a daily roll
over. The log files do roll over correctly at midnight. So at midnight last night, a new log
file was created named WS.error.20051028.log (the &quot;log&quot; appends "log" to
the filename).

But then, why does it roll over again at noon? The log file will be full of entries until
11:59:59, and then the next second the file is empty and starts to record again at 12:00:00.

Again, this works on my local machine, but on the servers Ive deployed it to it does the above
strange behaviour.

Does anyone have any clues???

Simon.

-----Original message-----
From: Matthew Brown octavius@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:34:25 -0700
To: Log4NET User log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: Re: log files get reset at 12:00 noon every day

> <datePattern value=".yyyyMMdd.&quot;log&quot;" />
>
> Isn't datePattern the parameter to specify when the rollover should
> occur? If it is, you have it set to daily. Not sure why it would
> choose 12pm rather than 12am but I am curious what effect the
> &quot;log&quot; string would have on that...
>
> On 10/27/05, Simon Wallis <mailing@wallis.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is totally weird. Every day at 12:00 noon the log files from our app> lication
get reset. If I check them in the morning, there are entries start> ing in the night, there's
entries throughout the morning, and then exactly > at noon log4net seems to delete the
file and recreate it, so all the entrie> s from midnight until noon are deleted.

> > This is only happening in our recently deployed QA and production environ> ments.
It works fine locally. I'm also logging to a database and that is fi> ne. I made sure that
the Regional date settings (in control panel) are the > same, I just have no idea why this
is happening. It is quite bizarre.

> > Here is the snipped from my log4net config file:
> >
> >         <!-- ERROR LOG - text file that rolls on a daily basis -->
> >         <appender name="ErrorRollingFileAppender" type="log4net.Appen> der.RollingFileAppender">
> >                 <filter type="log4net.Filter.LevelRangeFilter">
> >                         <levelMin value="WARN" />
> >                         <levelMax value="FATAL" />
> >                 </filter>
> >                 <rollingStyle value="Date" />
> >                 <datePattern value=".yyyyMMdd.&quot;log&quot;" />
> >                 <file value="D:\\myfolder\\Logging\\hidc2\\WS.error" />
> >                 <appendToFile value="true" />
> >                 <param name="StaticLogFileName" value="false" />
> >                 <layout type="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout">
> >                         <conversionPattern value="%d %-7p %c  &quot;%m&>
quot; %P{SessionId} %P{ProfileId} %P{XmlData} %n" />