From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: internal debugging.
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:22:36 GMT
This page:

 http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/faq.html#internalDebug

says:

"
Internal debugging messages are written to the console and to the
System.Diagnostics.Trace system
"

Here's some sample code that adds a listener to the Trace system and
redirects messages to a file:

 FileStream fileStream = new FileStream(
  GetLog4NetLogFilePath(), FileMode.Create, FileAccess.Write );
 if (fileStream != null && fileStream.CanWrite)
 {
  System.Diagnostics.Trace.Listeners.Clear();
  System.Diagnostics.Trace.Listeners.Add(
   new TextWriterTraceListener(fileStream));
 }
 log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure();
 System.Diagnostics.Trace.Flush();

I think its easier to define this in the application config file so you
can easily turn it on or off or change the output file name without
recompiling:

 <system.diagnostics>
  <trace autoflush="true">
   <listeners>
    <add name="textWriterTraceListener"
    type="System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener"
    initializeData="C:\\Inetpub\\wwwroot\\Logs\\log4net.txt" />
   </listeners>
  </trace>
 </system.diagnostics>