From "Jon Finley" <...@gksys.com>
Subject RE: Compact Framework 1.0 MsmqAppender
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 14:40:48 GMT
Thanks Nicko.

With a liberal sprinkling of debug output to the console I can confirm that
I am seeing what you have described.

I think the memory leak is solved (or at least isn't as bad).  I'm certainly
not a CE expert but managed code to COM (using CFCom) on WinCE certainly
appears to be a fragile thing.

Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicko Cadell [mailto:nicko@neoworks.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:15 AM
To: Log4NET User
Subject: RE: Compact Framework 1.0 MsmqAppender

> I had hoped that
> the Appender would be created once when the app starts but this does
> not appear to be the case (although I'm enough information to even
> state that).

Appenders are either created programmatically or by loading a config file.
If loading from a config file the appender will be created, if referenced by
a <root> or <logger> element in the same file. The appender will be closed
when the application terminates. If the config APIs are used to reload a
config file then the appender will be closed and a new appender created.

In most cases therefore the appender will be created a configure time and
not closed until the application terminates.

Cheers,
Nicko