From Schweizer Andreas <andreas.schwei...@elca.ch>
Subject RE: What log level to use?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:51:14 GMT
Hi Peter,

> Are there any recommendations or general guidelines for when to use what
> logging level? I never know when to use log.Debug("blah") vs
> log.Info("blah") or ERROR vs FATAL for example.

the following might be helpful to you; it is an extract of the document
describing how we use logging in the EL4NET component framework.

Greetings,
Andy

--

A Severity Level (def) is a quality of a logging message. Assign a severity
level to every logging message that you emit from program code. Having

    * FATAL: means that an exceptional context/event will lead to a process
termination. In EL4NET, errors in config and early components initialization
errors are fatal.
    * ERROR: means that an unexpected issue has occured. In EL4NET,
unexpected exceptions are logged as errors. A generic swallow (i.e. with
generic catch clause) should use this level.
    * WARN: means that some rare event occured which might be an issue but
doesn't have to. In EL4NET, a recovery mechanism makes that a lazy component
that fails to initialize and that later succeeds, leads to an exception the
first time, and a warning the second time, saying that the component is
already created but not initialized.
    * NOTICE: used for logging important state of the system. In EL4NET,
status is used to notify when all static components are loaded.
    * INFO: used for logging internal state of the system. In EL4NET, info
is used to notify when one static components is loaded. Replaces the former
STATUS level.
    * DEBUG: used for debugging/development purpose; may very rarely be used
in operational scenarioes to state the system. In EL4NET, debug is used to
display proxy generator steps.

Note: Please notice that the old TEMPORARY severity level known from
LEAF.NET is no longer supported.