From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: LOG4NET - SMTP Appender Not Working
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:33:06 GMT
I don't think you mentioned the part about the application being hosted
on a 3rd party server. Have you verified that you can send mail on that
server?

 using System.Web.Mail;
 MailMessage mailMessage = new MailMessage();
 mailMessage.To = "to@to.com";
 mailMessage.From = "from@from.com";
 mailMessage.Subject = "Subject";
 mailMessage.Body = "Hello World";
 SmtpServer.Send(mailMessage);

If you can't send mail, I would extend SmtpAppender and override the
SendBuffer method to use something like OpenSMTP:

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensmtp-net/

The new implementation would be very similiar to the base one:

http://tinyurl.com/a55ec
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging-log4net/src/Appender/SmtpAppender.cs?rev=1.9&view=markup

On a slightly unreleated note, here's a screen shot of log4net's
SmtpAppender viewed from NLogViewer using nDumbster as a mock
SmtpServer (thanks to Jarek for cleaning up my code):

 http://www.ronosaurus.com/log4net/nlogviewer_ndumbster_log4net.png

That should be helpful in determining what a good bufferSize property
of the SmtpAppender is so it doesn't queue up messages for days then
suddenly attempt to send a giant 200mb email.