From Ron Grabowski <rongrabow...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Internal debugging
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 14:53:59 GMT
You may need to call Flush after setting up the listener or set the
AutoFlush property to true:

 System.Diagnostics.Trace.Flush()
 System.Diagnostics.Trace.AutoFlush = True

Setting log4net.Internal.Debug to true in the AppSettings as opposed to
on the log4net node allows log4net to record more debug information.
Did you know you can define trace listeners inside the App.Config file?
You may want to consider doing this so you can easily remove them once
you know you have things setup correctly:

<configuration>
 <configSections>
  <section name="log4net"
type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler, log4net"/>
 </configSections>
 <appSettings>
  <add key="log4net.Internal.Debug" value="true" />
 </appSettings>
 <system.diagnostics>
  <trace autoflush="true">
   <listeners>
    <add name="textWriterTraceListener"
     type="System.Diagnostics.TextWriterTraceListener"
     initializeData="C:\\temp\\log4net.txt" />
    </listeners>
   </trace>
 </system.diagnostics>
 <log4net>
  <appender name="FileAppender" type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender">
   <file value="C:\\temp\\mylog.txt"/>
   <appendToFile value="true"/>
    <conversionPattern value="%d %-5p %c %m%n"/>
   </layout>
  </appender>
  <root>
  <level value="DEBUG"/>
   <appender-ref ref="FileAppender"/>
  </root>
 </log4net>
</configuration>

Log4net can output the calling method for you:

 logger.Info("Exiting with Exception caught.");

  <conversionPattern value="%d %-5p %c %method:%m%n"/>
 </layout>

Here's a list of all the patterns in the current version of log4net:

http://tinyurl.com/e3nd3
http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/sdk/log4net.Layout.PatternLayout.html

The log4net.Config.DOMConfigurator.Configure method has been
depreciated in the current vesion of log4net (1.2.9.0 beta). It has
been replaced with log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure.

--- Ramaa Davanagere <RDAVANAG@mobius.com> wrote:

> The code attached below is just not working. What is wrong? All I'm
> trying
> to do is, enable the internal debugging and write the message to
> log4netInternalDebugging.txt file. When I run this code, the file is
> getting
> created but no messages are getting logged. Please help
>

> public class myErrorHandler
>
>       {
>

>             public ILog logger =
> LogManager.GetLogger(typeof(myErrorHandler));
>

>             public myErrorHandler ()
>
>             {
>
>                   FileStream oFile = new

FileStream("C:\\temp\\log4netInternalDebuggging.txt",FileMode.Create,FileAcc