From "Sargent, Erik" <Erik.Sarg...@providence.org>
Subject RE: What log level to use?
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:55:00 GMT
Peter,
When we were first getting started, I received this general reply which
helped us put things into perspective.

The following is from an email from Rich Denis @ Perot Systems in
response to my question on the Log4Net listserver about what levels to
log what types of errors.
Its really personal preference.  Some people I know, me included don't
use Fatal except for application initialization failures.  Here is
generally how I use things:

DEBUG - Anything that I want to see for app tracing, such as method
starts and stops.
INFO - Things that I may generally not want to get logged into
production but may want to know such as a total count on a collection
etc.
WARN - I generally use WARN when I have recovered from an expected
exception or when I was expecting to find a configuration value that was
not there but I supplied a default that was hard coded.
ERROR - Exceptions that I have caught that I can not recover from.
FATAL - many of my apps have a startup method that tries to read from
configs and do a bunch of work before the app can even start.  If I
experience an error here I will log FATAL if the error does not occur
here I just log an ERROR.

Further, in production I generally log WARN and above.  So as a rule I
only require that developers check IsDebugEnable and IsInfoEnabled.  All
other types I just log without checking.