From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: Rolling File Appender provided by Log4Net
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:14:10 GMT
You should create your custom appender in a separate assembly. Your
assembly can then reference ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.

If you intend to subclass the RollingFileAppender and you need to make
changes to the code to allow that you should copy the current
RollingFileAppender (preferably the latest version in CVS) into your own
assembly. Try to make the minimal set of changes to the
RollingFileAppender code necessary to allow your subclass to work, e.g.
marking methods as virtual. Build your subclass with your additional
logic etc.. Note that a file may be rolled (by calling RollFile) more
than once, so you will need to check if you have already compressed the
file. If you change the names of files made by RollFile then you will
need to modify the RollingFileAppender to understand that when looking
for files.

To test your subclass use various different settings
RollingStyle=Once/Size/Date/Composite and StaticLogFileName=true/false.
It is also important to test starting the appender when there are
existing archived files!

Cheers,
Nicko