From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: How to pass parameters through coding in log4net Applications
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2005 20:34:18 GMT
The parameters configured through the config file are just public
properties on the objects. If you want to programmatically create
appenders you can do so as follows:

log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.Hierarchy hierarchy =
(log4net.Repository.Hierarchy.Hierarchy)log4net.LogManager.GetRepository
();

log4net.Appender.FileAppender appender = new
log4net.Appender.FileAppender();
appender.File = "foo.txt";

log4net.Layout.PatternLayout patternLayout = new
log4net.Layout.PatternLayout("%message%newline");
patternLayout.ActivateOptions();
appender.Layout = patternLayout;
appender.ActivateOptions();
hierarchy.Root.AddAppender(appender);

If what you want to do is to programmatically update an appender that
you have specified in a config file then the first thing you need to do
is to locate the appender object.

You could do something like this to change the File property of a
FileAppender:

foreach(log4net.Appender.IAppender appender in
log4net.LogManager.GetRepository().GetAppenders())
{
  if (appender is log4net.Appender.FileAppender)
  {
    log4net.Appender.FileAppender fileAppender =
(log4net.Appender.FileAppender)appender;

    // Change value of properties
    fileAppender.File = "other.txt";

    // Reset file appender properties
    fileAppender.ActivateOptions();