From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: Rolling File Appender
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2005 19:39:16 GMT
There are a number of different ways of solving this.

The most performant way will be to open a file for each component. If
you know all of the components in advance you can just setup a separate
appender for each in the config file. It would be sensible to
differentiate between the components by the value of the logger name.

If you don't know all of the components in advance you can create
appenders programmatically, each component would need to identify itself
to your logging component so that it can create the appender and attach
it to the Root of the current Hierarchy.

Alternatively you may be able to write a custom appender that locates
the right file for the component, as a starting point you may want to
look at:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging-log4net/examples/net/1.0/Appen
ders/SampleAppendersApp/cs/src/Appender/PatternFileAppender.cs?rev=1.2&v
iew=markup

Cheers,
Nicko