From "McAninch, Robin" <RMcAn...@russellmellon.com>
Subject I searched the archives and didn't see it jump out at me. I apologize if I missed anything but here goes:
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 18:12:30 GMT
I searched the archives and didn't see it jump out at me.  I apologize if I missed anything
but here goes:

I have an ASP.NET app that will not log.  I am using version1.1.4322 on an XP pentium IV Dell.
 Upgrading versions right now isn't an option for me.  I have in the web config file these
entries:

<configSections>
	<section name="log4net" type="log4net.Config.Log4NetConfigurationSectionHandler,log4net"
/>
</configSections>

<!-- This section contains the log4net configuration settings -->
<log4net debug="true">
	<!-- Define some output appenders -->
	<appender name="rollingFile" type="log4net.Appender.RollingFileAppender,log4net">
		<param name="File" value="logfile.log" />
		<param name="AppendToFile" value="true" />
		<param name="RollingStyle" value="Date" />
		<param name="DatePattern" value="yyyy.MM.dd" />
		<param name="StaticLogFileName" value="true" />
		<layout type="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout,log4net">
			<param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d [%t] %-5p %C - %M &lt;&gt; %m%n%n"
/>
		</layout>
	</appender>
	<!-- Setup the root category, add the appenders and set the default priority -->
	<root>
		<level value="DEBUG" />
		<appender-ref ref="rollingFile" />
	</root>
</log4net>

In the classes I have entered:

private static readonly ILog log = LogManager.GetLogger(typeof([classnameHere]));

I have put all over the methods the DomConfigure statement and a call like below in a button
click event:

DOMConfigurator.Configure();
log.Fatal("write me");

The problem is that I get nothing written to a log file anywhere.  This code is fine if I
am using a windows application and if I use nHibernate in my app it gets configured correctly
but as a standalone web app I am not getting anything.  I am not even getting an exception
coming back.  I have even tried raising the ASPNET user's rights to "PowerUser" level (in
response to some info in the archives) and this won't get me a log file.  Does anyone know
what I am doing incorrectly?

Thank you for you time on this very frustrating matter,

Robin McAninch

Robin McAninch

Russell/Mellon
1 Mellon Bank Centre,