From Shireesh Thanneru <thann...@yahoo.com>
Subject Log4Net Implentation Details - Is it Synchronous or Asynchronous?
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:47:58 GMT
Forgive me if this questions was already asked before. I did read the archives, but couldn't
find a similar entry. My question is does Log4Net does logging synchronously (basically, for
example, log.Info(msg) does not return until msg is physically written to the log file/sink)
or asynchronously (log.info(msg) will immediately return and the actual logging happens later
If it is synchronous, I would like to know how log4net managed to be so fast (is there any
other interal buffering/queueing going on or is it a pure blocking call)? We are implementing
an Instrumentation extension (that logs how much time each method is taking to a performance
log file and/or a performance counter) to log4net and are debating whether to do it asynchonously/synchonoulsy
or to use multithreading. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
Shireesh Thanneru

View raw message