From Baron Schwartz <ba...@sequent.org>
Subject Re: Log files misnamed
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:56:08 GMT
Hi Nicko,

> Does this issue arise each time you restart your service or just
> sometimes when you restart?

Only sometimes.

> Does this issue occur if you write to a local disk rather than a share?

I have not noticed it.  I have not configured the service to do that.

> What OS and file system is the logs share using?

Windows 2000 Server, NTFS.

> Does the appender write the current logs into the incorrectly named
> file? or does it also create the correctly named file?

It seems to happen when the correctly named file already exists, and in
every case that I see, there is output in that file.  The app is
multi-threaded, and there is a timer event that wakes up the
job-dispatching thread, which checks the database and starts off a
thread to do whatever is scheduled in the database.  The job-dispatcher
thread then dies.

I see two cases of this in the log directory right now.  The first case
has output into the correctly named file up to a certain time.  Then the
output goes into the second file for a few minutes, for the duration of
a certain scheduled chunk of work.  Then it goes back into the correct
file.  The log output doesn't reveal whether I restarted the service
twice to cause this situation.

In the second case I can see log statements indicating that I restarted
the service.  When I started it again, the incorrectly named file
received all further output until midnight, when a new file was created.

If it's helpful, I can try stopping and restarting the service
repeatedly during a time when there will be nothing scheduled in the
database, and the only output would be "I got started!" so it wouldn't
negatively impact our systems.  Maybe if I do this enough I can
reproduce the behavior.  If so, I guess I should enable internal debugging?

Thanks!
Baron