From Charles Johnson ...@cehjohnson.uklinux.net>
Subject Re: Log file for each level
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:31:32 GMT
To be honest i didn't ask him why - he asked me to do it shortly before
leaving

>>Point out that operationally ...

Yes i agree with you - this is my main concern.

Thanks Erik, i'll bear this in mind

CJ

Sargent, Erik wrote:

>I'd try to understand why he wants this. Is it for metric reporting
>instead of operations? It might make sense then (although I'd say it's a
>poor measure, but better than nothing).
>
>If it is for metrics, then write everything to a single file and parse
>it after for his metrics.
>
>Point out that operationally, the log is far more valuable for support
>if you can see the thread of events in context of time - which may not
>correspond to the separate levels.
>
>Also, operationally, does he expect you to run your app with debug
>logging on at all times? We, and I think most people, may have debug on
>in QA and perhaps right after go-live, but once you know it is stable,
>throttle back to WARN or INFO. So depending on the scenario, he might
>not get what he is expecting anyway.
>
>If what he is after is reporting, then generate one log and parse it for
>him at the end of each day (or whenever you do your rollover.)
>
>Erik

that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this
message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete this message.