From "Burger, Erik" <Erik.Bur...@Gpxs.net>
Subject RE: when to use each log level
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:12:37 GMT

I would use INFO for, well, informational messages like 'User 234
successfully logged in' or statistical information if you shoose to log that
in this manner. WARN is for non-critical errors like 'Unable to access SQL
server, but will try again later' that will not greatly affect system
functionality. ERROR is for problems that WILL affect system functionality
(like a failure to access the database that cannot be recovered from at a
later time).

In production, I would (but that's just me) turn on everything except DEBUG.
At the very least you should turn on everything more severe than WARN.

Hope this helps. I would be interested in what others have to say about

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Wallis [mailto:mailing@wallis.ca]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 3:05 PM
To: log4net-user@logging.apache.org
Subject: when to use each log level

I would like to set some guidelines for developers in my team on when each
logging level should be used. Can someone who's been using this for a while
provide some guidance?

FATAL - use when a critical system failure happens. This is a situation
where someone would want to be paged in the middle of the night to fix.

ERROR - for recording exceptions and other definite problem situations. You
might not need to be paged in the middle of the night, but this is important
enough that an email should be sent to a mailbox that's monitored on a
regular basis. Recurring errors need immediate attention.

WARN - ???

INFO - ???

DEBUG - self-explanitory. Basic debugging statements that someone would only
care about if they were investigating a problem with your component.

The situation I want to avoid is developers logging things as errors when
they're not that important, or conversely some people logging everything as
debug events.

Another question: what is the minimum log level that most people turn on in
production? Just errors or all levels of logging?

Thanks for your guidance,

The information transmitted by this e-mail message is intended solely for
the use of the person to whom or entity to which it is addressed. The
message may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
Disclosure, dissemination, distribution, review, retransmission to, other
use of or taking any action in reliance upon this information by anyone
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not disseminate, distribute or copy this communication,
by e-mail or otherwise. Instead, please notify us immediately by return
e-mail (including the original message with your reply) and then delete and
discard all copies of the message.

Although we have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting
viruses we nevertheless advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any
attachment to this message. We accept no liability for any loss or damage
caused by viruses.

View raw message