From "Hart, Aaron" <ah...@zolldata.com>
Subject ADONetAppender - returning output parameters
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:21:29 GMT
I've inherited and extended the ILog interface and LogImpl class and
created a custom LogManager to allow custom parameters to be sent to an
ADONetAppender.

Now I'm wondering: is there a way to get return values/output parameters
from the internal DbCommand that is used to insert the record to the
specified table? The reason I ask is that it's possible that the table
the logging information is being written to might have an auto-increment
integer (IDENTITY) primary key field, so it would be nice to get that
value back after the insert.

Stepping through the code, it looks like the LoggingEvent used to pass
in the properties gets passed through four or five other functions as a
parameter before the database command is actually executed, so it would
be difficult passing values all the way back through all those
functions. I also know that there are potentially several other
appenders writing records to the database if other ADONetAppenders were
configured for the logger being used, which makes it difficult to pass
back parameters for all of them.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Aaron Hart
Zoll Data Systems, Inc.