From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: Log4net Configuration Settings
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:34:28 GMT
Which version of log4net are you using? If this is a new project you
should start with version 1.2 beta 8.

In the <root> you have specified <appender-ref ref="LogFileAppender"/>
but there is no appender with that name. There is a <appender
name="FileAppender"> did you mean to specify <appender-ref
ref="FileAppender"/> instead?

You have 2 FileAppenders appending to the same file. This will not work
as the FileAppender takes an exclusive write lock on the file. This will
mean that the first appender to open the file will win, and the second
appender will not be able to write out messages at all.

still supported and this should not be causing an error.

Your <root> defines the an appender to use. This will be inherited by
child loggers, i.e. the <appender-ref ref="LogFileAppender"/> will be
inherited by the XMLTest.WebForm1 logger, therefore you do no need to
add another appender to that logger (i.e. <appender-ref
ref="XMLTestAppender"/>) especially as it would try to write to the same
file.

In your web application you need to initialise log4net. This can be done
programmatically by calling the DOMConfigurator.Configure method from
your Application_Start method, or it can be done using a
DOMConfiguratorAttribute assembly level attribute. Do you have any
initialisation code, if so what does it look like. How are you getting
the logger in your code? i.e. how are you calling LogManager.GetLogger.

You have set <add key="log4net.Internal.Debug" value="true"/> therefore
log4net should be outputting internal debug info. You can use DebugView
from sysinternals to view the debug data
(http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/debugview.shtml). Can you
post the output produced?

Cheers,
Nicko