From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: Parsing XmlLayout formatted events (or how to set up Chainsaw and log4net)
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 11:38:30 GMT

> The only differences are, in log4net config, I have:
>
> <layout type="log4net.Layout.XmlLayoutSchemaLog4j" />
>
> (no ", log4net") on the end, not sure what that does.

The ", log4net" postfix on the type name
"log4net.Layout.XmlLayoutSchemaLog4j, log4net" is the name of the
assembly to load the type from. This is part of the standard .NET
(Type.GetType method) type resolution system.

This is actually only a partial type name. A fully qualified type name
also includes the version, culture and public key of the assembly, for
example:

"System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection, System.Data, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089"

The reason why the ", log4net" is not required for the
log4net.Layout.XmlLayoutSchemaLog4j type is that it is being loaded by
code running in the log4net assembly and this is therefore the default
assembly to look in. If the type was in any other assembly then at least
the assembly name would have to be specified.

Nicko

Nicko Cadell
log4net development
http://logging.apache.org/log4net