From "Joe Joe" <jocular...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Log timestamp in UTC
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:41:23 GMT
Nicko, thanks for the response.

>It looks like the 'U' pattern may convert the time from local to
>universal time before displaying it.

The "U" pattern is long date + long time, not really appropriate.  So it
looks like this is impossible without customising Log4Net (which I want to
avoid).

>Failing that you would need to write a new layout that output what you
>needed. The pattern layout in 1.2 beta 8 is not extensible, but in the
>current CVS head it should be very easy to add another pattern that
>converts to UTC before rendering the date.

I think it would make sense to have patterns for both UTC and local time.
But it would be better to retrieve the date as UTC, then convert to local
when rendering (local to UTC conversions are ambiguous for 1h each year at
the end of daylight savings time).

Joe