From "Simon Wallis" <mail...@wallis.ca>
Subject Make all appenders asynchronous
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:56:28 GMT
I've written a couple of custom appenders: one logs events to a web service and one makes a
Remoting call. Both have an attribute called Async. If set to true in the config file, the
appender will do the work in SendBuffer() or Append() asynchronously. If set to false it will
do it in the normal synchronous fashion.

My AsyncRemotingAppender is identical to the RemotingAppender except for a bit of extra code
to do the threading.

Is there any interest in modifying appropriate appenders in the core code to add an Async
attribute and the threading capability? It's not complicated, and am wondering why it's not
in there already. In my performance testing it yields huge performance gains, especially when
combined with buffering.

View raw message