From "Simon Wallis" <mail...@wallis.ca>
Subject logging additional fields
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:02:39 GMT

In regards to the following thread, where can I see the source code for the EventId extension?
I can find the example code where it is used, but where is the implementation? I would like
to write a similar extension to log4net.

Thanks,
Simon.

From: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=7162681

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicko Cadell <nicko@ne...>
RE: ADONetAppender
2004-01-19 05:39

 Sloan,

 There are two distinct steps here:

 1 Get the additional logging fields into log4net
 2 Writing the additional fields into the database

 1 Get the additional logging fields into log4net

 To do this properly you will need to write what is called an extension. This
 is a wrapper around log4net that exposes a different interface. The best
 example for you is the EventID extension (see
 log4net\extensions\net\1.0\log4net.Ext.EventID). This extension allows you
 to pass an event id to log4net. The extension stores the event id in an
 event specific property map. You should put your additional fields into this
 map.

 2 Writing the additional fields into the database

 The ADONetAppender can be configured to write any named property into the
 database using the following configuration for the parameter:

 <param name="Parameter">
   <param name="ParameterName" value="@log_my_field" />
   <param name="DbType" value="String" />
   <param name="Size" value="255" />
   <param name="Layout" type="log4net.Layout.RawPropertyLayout">
     <param name="Key" value="MyField" />
   </param>
 </param>

 The value of the property may be any object type that is accepted by the
 IDbDataParameter for the DbType specified.

 Nicko