From "Simon Wallis" <mail...@wallis.ca>
Subject Error using RemotingAppender: can't find assembly log4net
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 19:08:08 GMT
Hi, I'm trying to use the RemotingAppender. I got the client and server sample code working
fine. Now I'm trying to use the appender in my own code but I'm getting an error that I can't
figure out. When I run my own app (acting as the client) I see this stack trace in DebugView:

[9596] log4net:ERROR [RemotingAppender] Failed in DoAppend
[9596] System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Cannot find the assembly log4net,
Version=1.2.0.30714, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=9be3b600b03054c9.
[9596]
[9596] Server stack trace:
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryAssemblyInfo.GetAssembly()

[9596]    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.GetType(BinaryAssemblyInfo
assemblyInfo, String name)
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryConverter.TypeFromInfo(BinaryTypeEnum
binaryTypeEnum, Object typeInformation, ObjectReader objectReader, BinaryAssemblyInfo assemblyInfo,
InternalPrimitiveTypeE& primitiveTypeEnum, String& typeString, Type& type, Boolean&
isVariant)
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.ReadArray(BinaryHeaderEnum
binaryHeaderEnum)
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler
handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream
serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

[9596]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.CoreChannel.DeserializeBinaryRequestMessage(String
objectUri, Stream inputStream, Boolean bStrictBinding, TypeFilterLevel securityLevel)
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryServerFormatterSink.ProcessMessage(IServerChannelSinkStack
sinkStack, IMessage requestMsg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, IMessage&
responseMsg, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
[9596]
[9596] Exception rethrown at [0]:
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg,
IMessage retMsg)
[9596]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData,
Int32 type)
[9596]    at log4net.Appender.IRemoteLoggingSink.LogEvents(LoggingEvent[] events)
[9596]    at log4net.Appender.RemotingAppender.SendBuffer(LoggingEvent[] events)
[9596]    at log4net.Appender.BufferingAppenderSkeleton.Append(LoggingEvent loggingEvent)

[9596]    at log4net.Appender.AppenderSkeleton.DoAppend(LoggingEvent loggingEvent)

Here is my config:

<appender name="RemotingAppender" type="log4net.Appender.RemotingAppender" >
	<sink value="tcp://localhost:8085/LoggingSink" />
	<lossy value="false" />
	<bufferSize value="1" />
	<onlyFixPartialEventData value="true" />
</appender>

As far as I can see, it is exactly the same as the client sample code (except mine is not
in the app's .config file), yet the sample code works and mine doesn't. Other appenders work
with my code, just not the RemotingAppender.

Simon.