From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 1.2.15
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2015 16:13:55 GMT
On 2015-11-23, Dominik Psenner wrote:

> I blindly assume that you have some virtual machines that allow you to
> build log4net against ancient .NET frameworks.

My zoo started out with an old Linux laptop that I need for Mono 1.x and
2.x (never bothered to create a VM for that) and a Windows XP VM for
.NET 1.x and cli.  I can't share the XP VM easily (activated with a
personal license).  That I try to keep both machines from any network
access is part of making the release cumbersome.

Then there is a Windows 7 VM for .NET 2.0 - 4.5 (right now 4.6,
actually) and my every day workhorse running a recent Linux distro and
Mono 4.x, a real machine.

> Are you willing to share your build environments? Maybe then you are
> not the one and only who can build a log4net release.

I'm totally willing to share the SDK binaries I have collected, all of
them are MSDN downloads or have been at some point in time.  The log4net
release instructions explain what you need and what needs to be
installed in which order.

You can't install .NET 4.5 on XP and you can't install .NET 1.1 on Win7
AFAIK, so you'll always need at least two environments (until we drop
1.x builds).  It should be possible to create the Mono builds on
Windows, I'm not sure you can install Mono 1.x and 4.x in parallel.

Re: AppVeyor

AppVeyor builds are for free for OSS projects, I use it as CI for
XMLUnit.NET (along with Travis for Mono builds of it).  I'm not sure
AppVeyor supports NAnt and I'm pretty sure it doesn't support .NET 1.x.

The real PITA are the ancient SDKs, not the recent ones.

Stefan